Civil disobedience - လူထုမနာခံမှု
Following the events in Myanmar in 2021, and after several email exchanges with friends (activists and artists) there, I decided to set up another compilation project on order to collect money to offer VPN subscriptions to journalists, activists, artists (…) based in Myanmar to allow them to easily bypass censorship and communicate with the outside world. The benefits have been transferred to a friend in Yangon who well wisely use the money to help and support demonstrators and activists who fight for freedom as well as social, ethnic, sexual, philosophical (…) equality and respect. So far 1500€ have reached Yangon, including 500$ for Food Not Bombs Yangon, run by Kyaw Kyaw. More money will be sent this year.
Artists from 42 countries have kindly provided their tracks within a week.
89 artists from Tanzania, the UK, Singapore, Belgium, France, the USA, Uganda, Spain, Italy, Slovenia, India, Germany, Canada, Togo, Switzerland, Colombia, Greece, Malaysia, Indonesia, Argentina, Peru, Poland, Czechia, South Africa, Japan, Sri Lanka, Iran, Turkey, Vietnam, Norway, India, Nigeria, Mexico, Chile, the Netherlands, Spain, Belarus, Ukraine, Singapore, Hong Kong, Myanmar, Slovenia, Serbia, have kindly contributed to this compilation, many responded within a few hours, it is heartwarming to see such dedication and unity, especially during the long and sometimes harsh crisis the world has to go through for more than a year by the time I write those lines.
Such as what I previously did with the compilation to support people in Beirut, I will now and then post some updates on social networks, here and my newsletter regarding the benefits : how much and what for.
Myanmar is a special place for me or at least the little I know of it. I got the opportunity to play twice there in February 2014, solo and collaborations with local and international musicians. I attended some talks, met several activists (pro-LGBT, pro-democracy, artists, feminists, etc.), some were optimistic about the changes that seemed positive, most political prisoners had been freed, there was less censorship, but others were raising some doubts and today’s situation has unfortunately proved them right.
I will never forget people’s kindness, not only those activists, organisers and artists but also the people I’d meet in the street or cafés, the street sellers who would teach me the numbers and the name of the vegetables and fruits I’d buy, the children dancing during our noisy concerts…
Of course the situation is way more complex than those memories that I tell here, Myanmar is a fragmented country and these conflicts are the world’s longest ongoing civil war that spanned more than 70 years. But I want to keep the beautiful memories I have in mind, not the dark sides of the story.
I also would like to not only thank all the artists who reacted so quickly but also Shunn Lei, Andy Chia (SAtheCollective) and Salem Rashid (Bedouin Records) for their support.
Due to its size (89 tracks), this compilation is divided into four volumes. I tried to keep a certain level of coherence :
Volume 1 follows an electronic and rhythmic path, including artists who play electronica, power noise, dub, techno, hip hop, etc.
Volume 2 is above all guitar and string instruments oriented, not purely rock, nonetheless a bit sometimes, but also drone, improvised, experimental, lo-fi, avant-folk and ambient oriented.
Volume 3 is the noisiest one but even if it includes a few noise pieces, it is absolutely not a pure harsh noise compilation and electroacoustic, drone, ambient, experimental, contemporary classical music have been incorporated.
Volume 4 includes artists in the field of ambient, electroacoustic, experimental music and sound art.
Pay attention to the fact that Bandcamp doesn’t number the tracks properly when you use a computer it will read the tracks by alphabetical order, unfortunately so, I’d advise you to rename the files and manually add the track numbers, unless you don’t care…
Also, several Burmese artists can be found hereunder, if you want to support them directly or simply discover some Burmese alternative music that hardly makes the news – I will add more as soon as I find the time.
Compiled and produced by C-drík Fermont in February 2021.
Very basic mastering and editing by C-drík at Syrphe syrphe.com
Published by Syrphe.
Covers by Myanmar Artists Against Military Coup www.artforfreedommm.com
Catalogue numbers : vol.1 : Sdig010-1, vol.2 : Sdig010-2, vol.3 : Sdig010-3, vol.4 : Sdig010-4.
List of artists (please, check the info next to their tracks to read their biographies and check their webpages).
Civil disobedience – လူထုမနာခံမှု 1/4
- Jettenbach (UK) jettenbach.bandcamp.com
- Meta Meat (France) audiotraumametameat.bandcamp.com
- Yao Bobby & Simon Grab & Dhangsha (Togo/Switzerland/UK) simongrab.bandcamp.com/album/diamonds dhangsha.bandcamp.com
- IR-Indigenous Resistance Sankara Future Dub Resurgence (Uganda) dubreality.bandcamp.com/album/ir-58-rising-up-for-the-dub-world-within-2
- Draama (India) draama.bandcamp.com
- DUF (Slovenia) deadundergroundfuture.bandcamp.com
- MeeMi (Myanmar/UK) soundcloud.com/meemieatsmushrooms
- The FlatBoys (France) www.superqui.net soundcloud.com/loran-qui orompi.bandcamp.com/album/in-fact cesariofa.com ordonnance.bandcamp.com
- Sylvain van Iniitu (Belgium) www.iniitu.net
- Dickaz123, Theo Nugraha (Indonesia) theonugraha.bandcamp.com soundcloud.com/dickaz123
- ps stamps back (Greece) tiltrecordings.org
- Brainquake (Belgium) brainquake.bandcamp.com
- IOM (Spain) ikerormazabal.bandcamp.com
- TommyTheCat (Germany) soundcloud.com/user-625936569
- PNF (Hong Kong) www.dicksondee.com
- Buben (Belarus) soundcloud.com/uladzislau-buben
- a034 (Italy) www.a034.it
- Andrey Kiritchenko (Ukraine) kiritchenko.bandcamp.com
- WHΛLTHISИEY (Portugal) walthisney.bandcamp.com
- Imminent (Belgium) tentack.com
- Pas Musique (USA) www.pasmusique.net
- Afraaz Mulji (Tanzania) afraazmulji.bandcamp.com
Civil disobedience – လူထုမနာခံမှု 2/4
- fencepost (UK) fencepost.bandcamp.com
- Dora Bleu with Marc Ribot (Canada/USA) dorableu.bandcamp.com www.marcribot.com
- Ale Hop (Peru) www.alehophop.com
- myrh & Dariusz Jackowski (Canada/Poland) soundcloud.com/myrhyum dariuszjackowski.bandcamp.com
- Kooba Tercu (Greece) koobatercu.bandcamp.com
- 2kilos &More (France) 2kilosandmore.bandcamp.com
- Left Hand Cuts off the Right (UK) lefthandcutsofftheright.bandcamp.com
- Dora Bleu & Periklis Tsoukalas (Canada/Greece) dorableu.bandcamp.com periklist.wixsite.com/periklistsoukalas/about-c10fk
- Aluviana (Slovenia) aluviana.bandcamp.com
- Myrh and Lend Me Your Underbelly (Canada/Netherlands) soundcloud.com/myrhyum lendmeyourunderbelly.com
- Garth Erasmus (South Africa)
- Nick Vander (Argentina) nickvander.bandcamp.com
- Federico Balducci (USA) | fourthousandblackbirds (Canada) federicobalducci7.bandcamp.com soundcloud.com/fourthousandblackbirds
- Dead Man's Hill (Belgium) deadmanshill.bandcamp.com
- Nadleehi (France) nadleehi.bandcamp.com
- thisquietarmy (Canada) thisquietarmy.bandcamp.com
- Darla Smoking (Slovenia) darlasmoking.bandcamp.com
- Energia Astrale (Italy)
- Kei Watanabe (Sri Lanka/Japan) soundcloud.com/kswsl
- Christophe Petchanatz (France) klimperei.bandcamp.com
- Harald Fetveit (Norway) haraldfetveit.no
- Jan Klare (Germany) jakeplaymo.bandcamp.com
Civil disobedience – လူထုမနာခံမှု 3/4
- Thibörg (Canada) cargocollective.com/thisisnotdesign
- Jaime Munarriz (Spain) avantspace.org/audioreleases.htm
- μελωφοβία (Melophobia) (Greece) melophobia.bandcamp.com
- Eijra Woon (France) eijrawoon.bandcamp.com
- Norscq (France) norscq.bandcamp.com
- Flavien Gillié (Belgium) soundisall.bandcamp.com
- Elektronengehirn (Germany) elektronengehirn.bandcamp.com
- Nate Tandy (USA) soundcloud.com/diaphragmatic
- Noish (Spain) noconventions.mobi/noish
- Simon Grab (Switzerland) simongrab.bandcamp.com
- SW1n-Hunter (UK) opaltapes.com/album/aliasing-the-empty-face
- Viviankrist (Japan) viviankrist.bandcamp.com
- Soheil Soheili (Iran) www.soheilsoheili.com
- 彼女 (Kanojo) (Czechia) kanojo.bandcamp.com
- Alice Just (Belgium) alicejust.bandcamp.com
- Kam Seng Aung - Joshua Weitzel (Myanmar/Germany) www.joshuaweitzel.com
- Michael Zerang (USA) www.michaelzerang.com
- Leonie Roessler and Akane Takada (Germany/Japan) leonieroessler.com akane.tehis.net/bio.html
- Knic.L (UK)
- Luca Forcucci (Switzerland/Italy) lucaforcucci.bandcamp.com
- Philippe Petit (France) www.philippepetit.info
Civil disobedience – လူထုမနာခံမှု 4/4
- Jacob Audrey Taves (Canada) holzkopf.bandcamp.com
- Owrang (Iran) soundcloud.com/owrang
- Mathias Rossignol (Vietnam)
- Humanfobia (Colombia/Chile) humanfobia-official.bandcamp.com
- Szkieve (Canada) szkieve.org
- KOMPRIPIOTR (Italy) kompripiotr.bandcamp.com
- Night Sky Pulse (Belgium) johnsellekaers.com
- Peter Kutin (Austria) kutin.klingt.org
- Rastko Lazić (Serbia) rastko.bandcamp.com
- Korhan Erel (Turkey) korhanerel.bandcamp.com
- feyz (Turkey) fzya.bandcamp.com
- artificial Memory trace (Ireland) artificialmemorytrace.bandcamp.com
- Spherical Disrupted (Germany) www.disrupted.de
- Ibukun Sunday (Nigeria) soundcloud.com/ibukun-sunday
- Goh Lee Kwang (Malaysia) becomingshadow.bandcamp.com
- Pi-oux (Myanmar) - soundcloud.com/phyuhninthwin/
- Holofrenia (Mexico) www.julianbonequi.com
- Prairie (Belgium) prairie.bandcamp.com
- Lydia Ang (Singapore) lydiaang.bandcamp.com
- Romain de Ferron (France) romaindeferron.bandcamp.com
- Kamila Lunae (Peru) soundcloud.com/kamila-lunae/
- Yaka-anima (Chile) humanfobia.jimdofree.com/yaka-anima/
- DEF (France) 69def.bandcamp.com
- C-drík (Belgium/DR Congo) syrphe.com/c-drik.html
Some rights reserved. Please refer to individual track pages for license info.